Today my teacher put three categories on the board under which we should label our beliefs about Hell: "Hell, yes!" "Hell if I know" and "Hell, no!"
Seriously? I had to take a stance on this issue that I feel I know nothing about? I had to literally go stand by the board in a category and declare my belief? It is barely mentioned in the Bible except maybe...Revelation? It was weird. I felt unprepared. Of course I believe in Hell, because it's a Biblical concept and I believe in the Bible. But why didn't I know anything about it?
This whole labeling ourselves idea might have been less awkward if my school wasn't located in the middle of the Bible belt. But, alas, it is. And it was awkward. Even my teacher seemed to be bashing the atheists and agnostics of the room and at one point I was tempted to do a Shaq jump to the "Hell, no!" side just to remind everyone they were people too.
We all had a chance to talk on the subject. As my "Hell, yes!" classmates talked, I noticed not a single one of them mentioned Jesus.
My skin started to prickle like it always does when I know I have to say something. So I made a pretty good point about repentance (and therefore grace...except I didn't say this out loud) and then started stumbling through something about Jesus.
I just wish I could get my thoughts into words and tell these people that Jesus is forgiving, and all you have to do is believe and repent to meet Him in Heaven...
No comments:
Post a Comment