Well I've officially been in Africa for over a week...time to travel, right?!
Last Thursday I went to the Wli waterfall. It's the biggest in the country, and it was hands down amazing. The wall to the left of the waterfall was covered in thousands and thousands of bats, flying above our heads as we swam in the water. The best part? It's literally the first time I haven't been sweating since I walked off that plane a week ago...
This weekend a group of ten of us decided to go to Volta Lake. It's the world's largest man-made lake, and it has this amazing resort called Afrikiki. I didn't even feel like I was in Africa while I was there. We just enjoyed the best break after a long week of culture shock and hard work.
Can I just say that if I was making a list about things I want to change about Ghana, the roads would for sure be in the top five list. When it rains, the potholes are big enough for four-year-old children to go swimming in. The ride gives me the biggest headache in the world. The best headache, though...I mean, when was the last time I got to go spend a weekend at a resort on the waterfront? We were pretty spoiled. It was great.
Well, I've been here for 8 days now, and I officially love it. This community is SO vibrant and beautiful. There are so many other places in the world where the people are desperately searching for help and rescuing. But it's not like that here. Yes, it's poverty-stricken and impossibly poor, but these people embrace life. Half of the community is Muslim, and every day, five times a day, they stop to worship and pray. There is reverence for what is truly important: worship, family, friends, relationships, love. There's no need to rush around, or endlessly run errands. People do not spend time alone; they close up shop when the sun sets and the night life begins; their world is so hard, but so full of grace and happiness.
By being here, I have already learned so much. First of all: SLOW DOWN. Let me emphasize that one again. SLOW DOWN. Spend the time to enjoy life. It only happens this way once, and unless I stop and stare and realize that there is more to life than myself, it is impossible to truly see our world the way God wants us to see it. Second: Enjoy the little things in life. A couple days ago, a volunteer and I lost track of time while we were in town, and ended up making our way through fields in the pitch black, trying to get home. Then it started to downpour.
That was the best feeling in my life.
Third: Smile. Smile at people, smile at things, smile at memories...it just makes the world a better place.
I love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment