Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Little Bit of This...A Little Bit of That...

Weekends in Ghana are like holidays. No one expects anything out of you, and I have definitely finished two books and conquered the game of Phase Ten.

I also walked/ran to another town that's about 3 miles away from our house. Aside from almost getting creamed by ten taxis and hit on by African bicyclists, it was the calmest time I've had here. I watched the sun set over the Ghanaian mountains, its colors wrapping themselves around the outlines of palm trees waving in the pre-rain breeze. Beautiful.

I can't believe I only have four more days at the School for the Deaf. I love these kids. I went to Deaf church this morning, and it was sooo different than any church I've walked into before. I sat with the older kids, and they signed typical songs and telling the story of Moses. Then the teacher/song leader/story teller person called for all the kids who needed healing to come up front. They "performed healing", holding their hands over the kids that fell on the ground in reaction. It was something I've never experienced before.

Deaf Church

I look forward to the next four days...entering the idea of double-digit addition into my kindergartener's heads, hugging more lonely orphans and dancing on graves with them at the "park", and seeing that my life is so good.


No comments:

Post a Comment