Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Welcome to Africa

I conquered a mountain yesterday.

OK, half a mountain.

But it was a 4 hour hike and involved 6 caves...so give me some credit.

We hiked through the mountain and the caves at Likpe yesterday...woke up at 6...seriously? I thought it was summer???!

Otherwise, Africa is amazing. I got my dress (after an hour fight with the seamstress), I've hiked a mountain, I know 15 phrases in Ewe even though I mispronounce them every time, I officially count in cedis instead of US dollars, and I love it here. 

Now, let me tell you something to appreciate: your laundry machines. Let me tell you about doing laundry by hand.

1. Fill up a huge metal bucket with water from the spigot. 

2. Pour in some laundry soap. 

3. Add clothes. 

4. The water's automatically brown...but ignore that....and swish your clothes around, rub them against each other for five minutes...

5. Dump them in another metal bucket and rinse them...

6. Can I be doing laundry in America yet??

Time to go.......gotta get back because another one of the volunteers is craving pineapple.

Welcome to Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment